Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses

Autor: Alan McConnell
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses
On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 08:58:42PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Alan McConnell wrote:
>
> > So I can restate it very easily. How can I configure exim
> > so that mail sent within my Linux box at home is sent
> > from "alan@alanmcc" and mail sent outside is sent from
> > "alan@???"?
>
> This can be done, but it isn't totally straightforward. The difficulty
> arises because you may have a single message that is BOTH sent within
> your Linux box AND sent outside. So you can't just rewrite stuff in the
> message, because that will affect both copies.

    First of all, I thank both Mr Hazel and Mr Hacker for their
    Hacker, who after his post with canine comparisons went back
    and checked my previous mail and has sent a substantial
    reply quite different in tone.

    To the above from Mr Hazel.  I can think of no instance when
    I would want any traffic within my box to go out to the
    outside world without my explicitly seeing it.  As I mentioned
    in my first message, I am an individual living alone; but
    I might be a family, or a student consortium, etc, with lots
    of occasions to send each other E-mail about their own
    affairs on the Linux box that they all have accounts on.

    And then they occasionally wish to send E-mail to the
    outside world.  They have all united on an ISP, have legitimate
    accounts there, and wish, for obvious reasons, not to do
    SMTP to the world, but to relay their messages through the
    ISP.  Responses to said messages would come back to the ISP
    (which is online 24/7) and then be collected by e.g. fetchmail
    when the dial up line is activated.  This is safe, secure, and
    conforms IMHO with all standards of manners and good Internet
    protocol.  My question is: is it achievable with exim?

Again thanks to Messrs Hazel and Hacker. I hope that as an exim newbie
I will be guided in the right direction. I shall be grateful for
any and all comments and suggestions.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
        It is difficult to get a man to understand something when