Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Alan McConnell
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Alan McConnell wrote:

> So I can restate it very easily. How can I configure exim
> so that mail sent within my Linux box at home is sent
> from "alan@alanmcc" and mail sent outside is sent from
> "alan@???"?

This can be done, but it isn't totally straightforward. The difficulty
arises because you may have a single message that is BOTH sent within
your Linux box AND sent outside. So you can't just rewrite stuff in the
message, because that will affect both copies.

You have to do the rewriting in the remote_smtp transport, as the
message leaves your host. This will require the use of a transport
filter, to rewrite the contents of the message (the From: line, and any
others such as Reply-To: or Sender:), and the use of the return_path
option, to rewrite the envelope sender.

Whether this is worth the effort is for you to decide.

No, I'm afraid I do not have an example (nor the time to make one up).