Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses

Autor: Bill Hacker
A: exim
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses
Alan McConnell wrote:

> I have received no answer to my query of a couple of days ago; a
> friend has told me that my query was too long-winded<g>.
>
> So I can restate it very easily. How can I configure exim so that
> mail sent within my Linux box at home is sent from "alan@alanmcc" and
> mail sent outside is sent from "alan@???"? My machine is
> named alanmcc; I wish however my E-mail to the outside world to come
> from patriot.net, my ISP, so that I can pick it up with fetchmail.
>
> TIA for any help!
>
> Alan McConnell

Alan,

You *might* not have received an answer because lot's of folk disapprove
of what you are attempting to do.

Dogs - I presume you know dogs? - have an instinctive grooming habit
that requires bending further around than most humans can manage.

Dogs do that because they are able to do so, and no one really cares to
interfere.

Exim can do what you describe - act as a 'portable' or roving MTA.

But many of us would rather not see it used that way, and for a lot of
sound reasons.

I have sent you a more detailed response - with alternatives that should
work better.

- off-line.

Regards,

Bill Hacker