Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out of the box

Author: Tommy Butler
To: exim-users
CC: Ron McKeating
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out of the box
Ron McKeating wrote:
> For those of you who wanted to know what the solution was here is a
> detailed note for your info. This will allow you to do authenticated
> smtp over ssl with the standard exim just using pam.

[snip]

> With the above we are able to do authenticated smtp using standard out
> of the box exim and the standard pam modules that come with linux.
> So no need for sassl authd or pam_exim or anything else, it all just
> works.
>
> Hope this is cluefull to those of you trying to do the same.

Well I just tried it. Works for me! Thumbs up. Has this been added to the
wiki yet?

My only question now is how do force the remote client to authenticate? I mean
I set this up, and authentication indeed takes place when I set up my mail
client to use TLS and log in with a username and password, however I can connect
without authenticating and still get away with sending messages.

Am I making sense?

--
Tommy Butler
tommy@???