Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out of the box

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Tommy Butler
CC: exim-users, Alec Edworthy, Ron McKeating, isss
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out of the box
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Tommy Butler wrote:

> So how about adding this to the docs?

There is now an Exim wiki (http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/). This is a
quote from its front page:

A WikiWikiWeb is a collaborative hypertext environment, with an emphasis
on easy access to and modification of information. This wiki in intended
to help document exim, an in particular allow sharing of information on
how to do things with Exim, and the evolution of user contributed
documents into something that we can ship with Exim.

Anybody can add information to the wiki, and I hope that they will.

> The docs offered me no help at all.

I am sorry to hear that, but...

The reference manual is just that, a reference manual. I try to ensure
that it is both complete and up-to-date, knowing how frustrating it is
to work with software that is undocumented. However, a reference manual
is not a tutorial or a how-to. I did try to produce a more introductory
text when I wrote the Exim 4 book. Apart from that, I rely on other
volunteers to generate how-to type of documents because they have much
more experience in using Exim in their own particular ways. Introductory
documents are far better when written by somebody who has gone through
the learning process, because they have experienced the problems. I
don't have the right perspective. Besides, if I spend all my time
writing documents, the code would stagnate.

There is a lot of useful information in the mailing list archives, but
it is probably quite hard to find it. I hope that the existence of the
wiki will make it easier for people to share what they know.