Re: [exim-dev] problems in eximstats.8

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-dev
CC: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] problems in eximstats.8
On 23 Nov 2004, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > 1. Are there Fedora Core 3 RPMs for exim?

> Nigel Metheringham used to make RPMs; I'm not sure what the state of
> those is now.

Nigel wanted to give it a break, so I'm currently maintaining the RPMs on
ftp.exim.org. At the moment I have only built packages for Red Hat 7.3 and
Fedora Core 1, but I have just got a nice build system working which lets
me build on an arbitrary number of distributions by running a single
command (as long as I've had the time/disk space to install them and
enough RAM to run them concurrently :) I left a build running last night
and I now have packages for RHEL3 and SuSE 9.1 here (along with updated
ones for FC1/RH73) which include the "errors_to freezes inappropriately"
patch. There was also a request for Red Hat 9, so when I get a minute I'll
probably install a RH9 build machine.

However, it's worth noting that Fedora Core >= 2 now includes Exim anyway.
Indeed, I believe (though I haven't installed it yet) that FC3 has Exim
4.43 included. The RPM packaging is virtually or wholly identical; Nigel
and whoever at RH is doing the packaging have swapped ideas on the
packaging several times. I believe Nigel's intention was to stop building
for FC3+; what I do will probably largely depend on if/how quickly the
Fedora people build new RPMs after an Exim release. If they do it
regularly, then there's probably not much point in me maintaining separate
packages. If they don't, maybe there is. Perhaps I'll get in contact with
the RH maintainer to discuss.

In any case, the SRPMs available have built-in recognition of and support
for FC3 (added by Nigel; I haven't tested myself yet), so rebuilding from
source should be just a case of "rpmbuild --rebuild exim-foobar.src.rpm"

Tim