Re: [exim-dev] problems in eximstats.8

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Eric S. Raymond
CC: exim-dev
New-Topics: Re: [exim-dev] SPF, was {problems in eximstats.8}
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] problems in eximstats.8
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> 1. Are there Fedora Core 3 RPMs for exim? I've had a bit set to switch away
> from sendmail for a while.

Nigel Metheringham used to make RPMs; I'm not sure what the state of
those is now. He sees this mailing list, so may repond. Nigel? I have
to confess that I leave all that packaging stuff to other people; I just
play with the base code. :-)

> 2. Does exim have integral SPF support yet?

Those who are keen on SPF[1] have, as I understand it, found ways of
configuring Exim to do what they want. A google for "Exim SPF" finds a
number of hits. I don't know of any SPF-specific change that is wanted,
except perhaps this item from the WishList:

(270) 01-Jun-04 M Add headers at top and middle

Various initiatives like SPF and DomainKeys require header lines to be added
above or in the middle of existing headers. Exim always adds at the bottom.
When these requirements are more standard and clearer, some way of controlling
where header lines are added will probably become necessary. Some new syntax
will be required.

This can now be done fairly generally from local_scan(), and at the start and
after the Received: block from an ACL. Is anything more needed?

The final paragraph applies only to the latest release (4.43). As part
of the integration of Exiscan into the mainline code, some further
flexibility in this area will happen. With luck, this release is likely
to happen fairly early next year.

Regards,
Philip
[1] You may gather that I am not keen on SPF. The reason is that it
breaks traditional forwarding, something that is very common in academic
environments such as mine.