Re: [Exim] Retry timeout option of "defer"

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Retry timeout option of "defer"
| We have a few customer-managed mail servers that we route mail for,
| and some of those hosts give 4xx errors on recipients that their
| mail servers dont like for anti-spam reasons.

| They *should* be giving 5xx errors, but unfortunately their MTA
| software wont accomodate it.

| So, these messages accumulate on our queue, never to be delivered
| since we always get the 4xx until the ultimate retry timeout gets hit.

Then what happens ? You bounce the message to the counterfeited sender ?

These days, anyone giving 4xx or 5xx for antispam reasons (ie. the
customer-managed servers here) really want to be their own MX. Otherwise
yet more backscatter spam is the result...

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service