Re: [Exim] Retry timeout option of "defer"

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Retry timeout option of "defer"
Chris Edwards said:
> | We have a few customer-managed mail servers that we route mail for,
> | and some of those hosts give 4xx errors on recipients that their
> | mail servers dont like for anti-spam reasons.
> |
> | They *should* be giving 5xx errors, but unfortunately their MTA
> | software wont accomodate it.
> |
> | So, these messages accumulate on our queue, never to be delivered
> | since we always get the 4xx until the ultimate retry timeout gets hit.
>
> Then what happens ? You bounce the message to the counterfeited sender ?
>
> These days, anyone giving 4xx or 5xx for antispam reasons (ie. the
> customer-managed servers here) really want to be their own MX. Otherwise
> yet more backscatter spam is the result...

Quite correct. We don't allow our downstream servers to do rejections on
policy - they export the policy to the MXs, and if they think they need
anything more flexible than we currently offer, we'll (probably) implement
it.

It's up to them if they want to redirect mail to Dave Null, of course.

Peter