Re: [Exim] Retry timeout option of "defer"

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Retry timeout option of "defer"
On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 04:07:30PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:

> >Would it be possible to add a "defer" error option for retry rules
> >so I could set a lower threshold for these hosts that are cluttering
> >up the queue?
>
> You mean this Wish List item?
>
> (146) 15-May-2000 M Allow SMTP error codes in retry rules
> This would allow special handling of certain errors from certain hosts. In
> particular, it would allow failing of certain 4xx codes.
>
> Quite a geriatric Wish List item, in fact. I'll see if I can find time
> to think about this one, as it is clearly still relevant. (But not for
> the next release, which is mainly maintenance.)

On second thought, I'm not so sure this wish item is really needed.

If I set retry error rules for "timeout", "refused" and
"auth_failed", and then specify a default timeout, wouldn't the
default timeout ONLY apply to deferrals?

Are there any other error conditions that would queue a remote message
that wouldnt be a result of a connection timeout, connection refusal
or a denied authentication?

A 5xx is considered a "successful" transaction so that wouldn't be one,
but want to be sure I'm not missing anything.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???