Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: Most effective spam reduction t…

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: Most effective spam reduction techniques
On 8/17/2004 5:35, "Peter Bowyer" <peter@???> wrote:

> We're looking at introducing greylisting at stage 4.

As you no doubt know, greylisting requires some whitelisting. (We use a
MySQL database...one form of whitelisting involved is that if our address A
sends to outside address B, then mail from B to A is whitlelisted.)

If you do go to greylisting, you'll find much less load on your later
stages. It seems to pay for the greylisting cycles many times over.

> We've not found any FP issues at all with stages 1-6 - at stage 7 we let
> each domain decide what SA reject threshold it uses; we mark-up a header
> for anything that passes under teh threshold.

At the equivalent point, we allow a lot of user control (ranging from don't
scan anything to throw away anything not on my accept list without
scanning...I have one personal account a vendor seemingly sold which is set
that way with an empty accept list).

--John