RE: [Exim] Opinions sought: Most effective spam reduction te…

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Hochstrasser Benedikt
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Opinions sought: Most effective spam reduction techniques
On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 14:35 +0200, Hochstrasser Benedikt wrote:
> Anthony Warren wrote:
>
> > My organisation is concerned with the risk of
> > false positives. For those that use spam reduction
> > techniques - how do you cope with the risk of FP's ?
>
> - We only /tag/ spam; it's up to the user to configure his/her inbox
> agents.

Oh yes, you reminded me -- we also tag messages with 'Re:' in the
subject line but neither In-Reply-To: or References: headers. That's a
common spammer trick, but unfortunately also another way in which some
versions/configurations of Outlook violate RFC2822. For some reason the
SpamAssassin people refused to add that test -- bizarrely they claimed
that since it has occasional false positives it wasn't suitable for use
in SA.

I don't reject for it -- I leave that up to the user. My mailing lists
do trap it though, because I don't allow RFC2822 violators to pollute my
lists by breaking the threading.

--
dwmw2