RE: [Exim] Opinions sought: Most effective spam reduction t…

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Opinions sought: Most effective spam reduction techniques

--On Tuesday, August 17, 2004 2:35 pm +0200 Hochstrasser Benedikt
<bhoc@???> wrote:

> Anthony Warren wrote:
>
>> My organisation is concerned with the risk of
>> false positives. For those that use spam reduction
>> techniques - how do you cope with the risk of FP's ?
>
> - We only /tag/ spam; it's up to the user to configure his/her inbox
> agents.

Something we're considering is allowing users to set an ldap attribute with
some spam handling preferences. We'd write a set of system filters (users
generally aren't very good at that), and call them depending on the ldap
attribute.

At its simplest, users would check a "filter spam" box on a web form, which
would result in an ldap "filterspam" attribute being set. On receipt of
mail, we'd run our spam tests only where the ldap attribute was set for the
recipient. That way, we don't have to have a one-size-fits-all policy, but
users don't have to struggle with exim filter syntax.

An alternative (which we currently use to enable vacation messages and
forwarding) is a web application which writes the exim filter. I prefer the
idea above as it allows us to reconfigure our system without having to
consider the possible content of thousands of filter scripts.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team