Re: [Exim] The Bcc Issue

Author: Pat Lashley
To: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] The Bcc Issue
--On Friday, August 13, 2004 11:21:12 +0100 Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:

> The issue of who handles Bcc: header lines has again been raised, and I
> am seeking opinions as widely as I can. The requirement is
> straightforward: non-Bcc recipients of a message should not see the
> addresses of any Bcc recipients, that is, their copies of the message
> should not contain Bcc: header lines.

I would say that Exim is doing the right thing; and that it is
normally the responsability of the MUA. Any site that wants to
support broken MUAs can easily use headers_remove to delete the
Bcc: header. It is only slightly more work to restrict Bcc:
modification to locally submitted messages.

And if the offending MUAs generate X-Mailer: or similar headers;
it should be possible to restrict Bcc: 'fixing' to cases where
there is a likelyhood that it is actually broken. And it should
all be doable with existing Exim functionality.

Perhaps someone with some time on their hands could come up with
a good example of how to do that...

-Pat