Re: [Exim] Envelope-To doesn't match 'rctp to' addr when usi…

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Envelope-To doesn't match 'rctp to' addr when using redirect router
On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:46:05AM -0400, Mark T. Valites said:
> I've configured my new exim4 setup to allow local users to accept email
> sent to aliases that contain their username followed by an underscore and
> then any suffix they'd like. Setting this up was easy with a simple
> redirect router.

Does your spamassassin set up know about these aliases? i.e., can
spamassassin use joe's preferences when it is called for joe_foo?

> I'd like the Envelope-to: header to match whatever was given with 'rcpt
> to', but I always end up with just the username in the Envelope-To field.
> I'm at a little bit of a loss as to why it's different & would appreciate
> any suggestions as to how to make them match.
>
> I only have one rewrite rule:
>
> root@??? "root@??? (root@$primary_hostname)" hFwq
>
> A simple test smtp session looks like this:
>
> $ telnet alpha.geneseo.edu 25
> Trying 137.238.1.190...
> Connected to <exim_server>.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 alpha.geneseo.edu ESMTP Exim 4.34 Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:10:35 -0500
> helo valites.net
> 250 alpha.geneseo.edu Hello valites.net [137.238.1.100]
> mail from: valites@???
> 250 OK
> rcpt to: valites_thing@???
> 250 Accepted
> data
> 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> From: valites@???
> To: valites_thing@???
>
> And the headers from the email it generated look like this:

>         by alpha.geneseo.edu with smtp (Exim 4.34)
>         id 1Bhqer-0001Kr-HV
>         for valites_thing@???; Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:11:18 -0500

Your hand off to spamassassin (or whatever) is not preserving the alias.
It seems as though this may be necessary, though, since I am not sure
that SA or any of the others that do per-user preferences will have any
idea how to cope with aliases. If you're not using per-user
preferences, better to move to running SA once at DATA, and ditch the
extra router/transport.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Given my druthers, I'd druther not.     |
|  steve@???             |                                         |