Re: [Exim] Envelope-To doesn't match 'rctp to' addr when usi…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Mark T. Valites
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Envelope-To doesn't match 'rctp to' addr when using redirect router
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Mark T. Valites wrote:

> I'd like the Envelope-to: header to match whatever was given with 'rcpt
> to', but I always end up with just the username in the Envelope-To field.
> I'm at a little bit of a loss as to why it's different & would appreciate
> any suggestions as to how to make them match.

I have now looked at this. It is not a problem with envelope-to.

> rcpt to: valites_thing@???
> 250 Accepted
> data
> 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> From: valites@???
> To: valites_thing@???
>
> And the headers from the email it generated look like this:

>        by alpha.geneseo.edu with smtp (Exim 4.34)
>        id 1Bhqer-0001Kr-HV
>        for valites_thing@???; Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:11:18 -0500

Notice that there are TWO Received: header lines. The stripping of the
suffix is happening between them (check the "for" clauses). The second
Exim (i.e. the first Received:), which is the one that does the final
delivery and adds Envelope-To:, does not see the suffix. The problem is
somewhere in the first Exim.

Take a look at the rcpt_include_affixes option for the smtp transport on
the first Exim.