[Exim] Envelope-To doesn't match 'rctp to' addr when using r…

Author: Mark T. Valites
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Envelope-To doesn't match 'rctp to' addr when using redirect router
I've configured my new exim4 setup to allow local users to accept email
sent to aliases that contain their username followed by an underscore and
then any suffix they'd like. Setting this up was easy with a simple
redirect router.

I'd like the Envelope-to: header to match whatever was given with 'rcpt
to', but I always end up with just the username in the Envelope-To field.
I'm at a little bit of a loss as to why it's different & would appreciate
any suggestions as to how to make them match.

I only have one rewrite rule:

root@??? "root@??? (root@$primary_hostname)" hFwq

A simple test smtp session looks like this:

$ telnet alpha.geneseo.edu 25
Trying 137.238.1.190...
Connected to <exim_server>.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 alpha.geneseo.edu ESMTP Exim 4.34 Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:10:35 -0500
helo valites.net
250 alpha.geneseo.edu Hello valites.net [137.238.1.100]
mail from: valites@???
250 OK
rcpt to: valites_thing@???
250 Accepted
data
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself