[Exim] Another lowest numbered MX record points to local hos…

Author: Roland Roberts
To: Exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Another lowest numbered MX record points to local host
some web searches, but I can't quite make the problem go away without
ending up with even bigger problems. I've just converted from
sendmail to exim 4.41, so I'm still working my way toward a working
configuration.

My mail gateway is also my mail hub and it is also my firewall.
Perhaps not the best arrangement, but that's how it is set up for now.

    Internet <----> Hub/Gateway <----> Internal Net

I can send mail out from the internal network just fine. Mail from
the Internet arrives on the Hub/Gateway just fine. The problem is
when I try to send mail internally to myself, as in from a cron job
:-/

- From one of the internal hosts, running sendmail in a pure forward
mode,

    echo test | mail -s testing roland

The mail goes to my hub where I see this message

    2004-08-06 23:41:31 1BtI5L-0004HQ-1J <= roland@??? H=c.home.intra [192.168.17.2] P=esmtp S=741 id=200408070341.i773fUmn021877@???
    2004-08-06 23:41:31 1BtI5L-0004HQ-1J lowest numbered MX record points to local host: t.home.intra
    2004-08-06 23:41:31 1BtI5L-0004HQ-1J == roland@??? R=dnslookup defer (-1): lowest numbered MX record points to local host
    2004-08-06 23:41:31 1BtI5L-0004HQ-1J Frozen

home.intra *is* in local_domains.

If I add "self = pass" to the first router, which is the default
dnslookup, this goes away. This actually seemed like a reasonable
thing to do since it would fall through to the second router which was
sytem_aliases. I didn't want to do what I've seen others do which is
forward via smtp to another host because, well, the mail is already
*on* the destination. But once I inserted the "self = pass", I
started bouncing a lot of mail. I didn't notice at first because the
logs showed me bouncing stuff from addresses like

    2004-08-06 19:03:06 H=mx2.speakeasy.net [216.254.0.226] sender verify fail for <znc07obkqi@???>: Unrouteable address
    2004-08-06 19:03:06 H=mx2.speakeasy.net [216.254.0.226] F=<znc07obkqi@???> rejected RCPT <roland@???>: Sender verify failed

which looked like a pretty reasonable reject to me. But then I
noticed I was also bouncing back to a large number of the lists like
newtontalk.net and that I couldn't even send *out* to some addresses
like someone at AOL. I figured the problem was the "require verify =
sender" ACL, so I commented that out. But that didn't do the trick,
so I removed the "self = pass" and I'm back where I started.

How can I get that internal mail to come to me without breaking the
external delivery?

Thanks,

roland
- --