Re: [Exim] Incorrect "Return-path" header

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: Pete Gonzalez
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Incorrect "Return-path" header
Pete Gonzalez wrote:
> I am using the "return_path_add" command to append the "Return-path:"
> header for incoming messages. This works fine in daemon mode
> (i.e. "/usr/sbin/exim4 -bd -q30m"). However, I recently switched
> to inetd mode, by adding this to inetd.conf:

that debian perversion is still around as an option in exim 4? ugh

> smtp    stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim4 exim4 -bs
> With this change, the return path headers always have a fixed value:

> I am using Exim 4.31, and I have "untrusted_set_sender = true".

That only means it won't set a "Sender" header.

You would also have to set exim up so that all local users sending mail
using exim -bs (say the user "mail" that you are running exim as) would
be in the trusted_users list. Which you might not want to do.

Yet another reason to run exim in daemon mode rather than trying to run
it out of inetd. I mean, inetd, for gods sake, not even xinetd or even
better, daemontools + tcpserver.

    srs