[Exim] Incorrect "Return-path" header

Author: Pete Gonzalez
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Incorrect "Return-path" header
I am using the "return_path_add" command to append the "Return-path:"
header for incoming messages. This works fine in daemon mode
(i.e. "/usr/sbin/exim4 -bd -q30m"). However, I recently switched
to inetd mode, by adding this to inetd.conf:

smtp    stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim4 exim4 -bs

With this change, the return path headers always have a fixed value:

When I switched back to daemon mode, the correct behavior was
restored. I noticed that my "local_scan" plugin always sees
the correct value for the $return_path variable, but this value
is apparently changed by the time the message reaches the routers.
Any idea what would cause this?

I am using Exim 4.31, and I have "untrusted_set_sender = true".

Cheers,
-Pete