Re: [Exim] lsearch vs. plain filename

Author: Daniel Tiefnig
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] lsearch vs. plain filename
Philip Hazel wrote:
>> I see, though you gave the out-of-line lists some "magic"
>> abilities.

> There are no "magic" properties to out-of-line lists. They are
> exactly equivalent to writing the same items in line.

Yes, of course, but they're used automatically, that's why I call them
"magic". Excuse me for that... :o)

> This is a feature of an address list, not a feature of an out-of-line
> list.

But they're analogue for the other lists, I just didn't want to restrict
to address lists. Maybe I've used wrong terminology.

>> And the former should even be faster then the latter, shouldn't it?
>
> For lsearch, probably. A pure guess.

Well, in one case the list is traversed on time, ind in the other
(maybe/sometimes) two times. Would make a difference for long lists, I'd
say, though as you noted these of course would better be converted to a
*db form...

> You can always run timing tests using "exim -be" if you want.

Ah, thats nice, didn't see that before.

thanks for your time,
daniel