Re: [Exim] lsearch vs. plain filename

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Tiefnig
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] lsearch vs. plain filename
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Daniel Tiefnig wrote:

> I see, though you gave the out-of-line lists some "magic" abilities. So
> the example given:
>
> | deny message = Administrative prohibition
> |     senders = /etc/shared/exim/config/reject_sender

> would actually be similar to something like this:
>
> | deny message = Administrative prohibition
> |      senders = lsearch;/etc/shared/exim/config/reject_sender : \
> |                *@lsearch;/etc/shared/exim/config/reject_sender

There are no "magic" properties to out-of-line lists. They are exactly
equivalent to writing the same items in line. So if you use one in an
address list (as in your example), an item in the file can be any item
that may appear inline in an address list. And yes, there are various
kinds of pattern you can put in an address list that can match either a
whole address or a domain. This is a feature of an address list, not a
feature of an out-of-line list.

> And the former should even be faster then the latter, shouldn't it?

For lsearch, probably. A pure guess. You can always run timing tests
using "exim -be" if you want. However, if your list gets long, it would,
I expect, be faster to convert it to a cdb file and use the latter
double lookup form.