Re: [Exim] lsearch vs. plain filename

Author: Daniel Tiefnig
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] lsearch vs. plain filename
Philip Hazel wrote:
> Once the ability to put in filenames for out-of-line lists was
> implemented, the use of lsearch for list lookups became redundant,
> except for the effects of lookup caching, and of course the ability
> to use lsearch* and lsearch*@ and partial-lsearch.

I see, though you gave the out-of-line lists some "magic" abilities. So
the example given:

| deny message = Administrative prohibition
|     senders = /etc/shared/exim/config/reject_sender

would actually be similar to something like this:

| deny message = Administrative prohibition
|      senders = lsearch;/etc/shared/exim/config/reject_sender : \
|                *@lsearch;/etc/shared/exim/config/reject_sender

And the former should even be faster then the latter, shouldn't it?

> I doubt that there's any noticeable performance difference.

That's what I wanted to hear. :o)

thanks,
daniel

PS: Thanks for the quick 4.41 patchrelease too, I tend to upgrade soon
due to improved lookup caching. I couldn't reproduce the daemon crash in
4.40, so I couldn't verify the patch. But they both work, so it didn't
get worse, at least. :o)