Re: [Exim] lsearch vs. plain filename

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Tiefnig
CC: Exim-Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] lsearch vs. plain filename
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Daniel Tiefnig wrote:

> I'm currently replacing lsearch lookups in my exim configs by plain
> filenames.
>
> Like this:
>
> | deny message = Administrative prohibition
> |      senders = lsearch;/etc/shared/exim/config/reject_sender

> becomes:
>
> | deny message = Administrative prohibition
> |     senders = /etc/shared/exim/config/reject_sender

> Are there any advantages/disadvantages of these two strategies?

Once the ability to put in filenames for out-of-line lists was
implemented, the use of lsearch for list lookups became redundant,
except for the effects of lookup caching, and of course the ability to
use lsearch* and lsearch*@ and partial-lsearch.

However, if you use lsearch and it works, you know you can always
convert to cdb or dbm later. If you start using wildcarded items in an
out-of-line file, this becomes impossible.

I doubt that there's any noticeable performance difference.