Re: [Exim] Opinions sought on the format of the next Exim co…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Niall Mansfield
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Opinions sought on the format of the next Exim course
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Niall Mansfield wrote:

> >From my own course-giving/tutorial experience, I think the above
> timetable might be better with:
>
>    - more of the elementary stuff up front.  In particular,
>      the "Demonstrate default configuration" (or a "Baby's First
>      Exim Config").

>    - ensure the first practical session is on day-1.

Ah. One of the points of the timing was to put the practical sessions in
the middle of the course (a) to give me a break and (b) to give the
class a break. If it comes too early, you lose those benefits.

>      That way, students can play with their laptops on the first
>      evening and be better equipped to understand day-2 / ask more
>      informed questions.

If all you've done is install Exim without telling them anything much
about it, I can't see that they'll benefit much. I would hope that the
first demo would show routing and stuff, and for that they will have to
know what routers *are* (at least, that's how I see it).

> Alternatively, you could leave the existing 2-day course as it stands,
> and just glue on at the front a 1-day, hands-on, tutorial session.

The same remark about breaks applies, and, remember, one of the points
of this proposed change is to allow more time for the 2-day material, so
the practical stuff is only 1/2 a day.

> Benefits of that approach:
>
>    - students better prepared for days 2 & 3 (as above)

I'm not clear that a practical before any talking is the right way to go
(sorry).

>    - someone else could run it if you wanted, so you wouldn't have
>           to make any changes!

I certainly expect someone else to run it. I was whacked after the
recent course; I could not do another whole day. My plan would be to
disappear during the practical sessions.

>    - people under time pressure could omit the tutorial part and
>           just come for 2 days, instead of not attending at all.

That's a perennial...

Many thanks for taking the time to air your views. Feedback is always
very welcome.

Philip