Re: [Exim] Error recieving messages.

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Error recieving messages.
Jason Cave <cavej@???> wrote:
> Whenever I recieve email, the lots just show this over and over for
> all accounts.
>
> 2004-07-19 16:54:33 1BmhqI-0003An-9j == email@??? routing
> defer (-51): retry time not reached
>
> And the messages are never delivered for any of the accounts. Also
> unable to send, and recieve no error messages back. Checked the
> queue and found exim still seeing the old hostname, and not sending
> it to the right place.

A couple of things to look at:

1. You need to find the first occurrence in the log for each message - this
will show you why it was deferred in the first place. You should be able to
do this by sending another message and catching it at the end of the log, or
use exigrep to find everything the log has about a particular message id
(1BmhqI-0003An-9j in the case of the example above).

2. You mention 'still seeing the old hostname'. This is probably a clue. You
might need to use the 'primary_hostname' option in Exim to force it to use
whatever name you've called the server, otherwise it might not know that
mail which looks like it should be delivered locally is actually going to
the right place.

Probably best to find some original delivery attempts in the log and post
them here, along with details about the host name changes you're doing. And
please don't obfuscate the log entries etc - it makes it very difficult to
diagnose.

Peter