[Exim] Variable/operator that contains results of MX lookup?

Autor: mark moseley
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Variable/operator that contains results of MX lookup?
Howdy. Pardon me if this is in the archives, but any
searching I did for relevant terms either returned 0
results or 63000 :)

I'm curious if the MX records of a looked-up domain
are available in a variable?

I've got mail servers behind load balancers, thus in a
private IP range. To fool the mail servers into
thinking that they are local for those IP (and should
handle mail for domains whose MX records resolve
there), I've set up dummy interfaces with those IPs.

This is a bit error-prone to remember when setting up
new servers and bothers me as a bit inelegant (and
likely to come back to haunt me down the road).

What I'd like to do (if it's possible) is to be able
to bypass dnslookup routers based on something like:
condition = ${if
!match($mx_lookup_or_whatever}{\Nmy-ips-regex\N}{1}{0}}
(don't mind the syntax) or something similar depending
on the output.

Does such a variable exist? Or an operator of some
sort that I'm missing in the docs? Presumably it'd
only get set once a dnslookup router ran (if it's a
variable), which is perfectly fine for me.

Since someone will probably suggest this, doing a
lookup against a db file doesn't get me quite what I
want. We serve about 175000 domains, with a decent
rate of turnover. With domains being added or leaving,
I trust a DNS lookup for more accurate info than our
domain list (i.e. if a domain has left and we haven't
removed it from our system yet, then mail won't make
it to the right place, and I can think of more
sinister scenarios as well that make me trust DNS
more).

BTW, I've seen requests for Exim referrals in recent
threads, so here's mine:
We're using Exim to deliver 2.5 million messages a
day, between remote deliveries and local deliveries to
about 350k POP boxes. We also block about 5 million
spam messages through Exim's ACL system, using NJABL,
SA, sender/rcpt verification, hand-rolled blacklists,
clamav, etc. We couldn't be happier. The flexibility
is phenomenal, performance is great. Whopping
hecatombs of kudos to Philip.