Re: [Exim] OS X php Issues

Autor: Rich Fortnum
A: Submit Exim Users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] OS X php Issues
On May 28, 2004, at 4:12 PM, Dan Shoop wrote:

> As pointed out none of this seems to relate to exim at all, so it
> would be better handled on the PHP or Apache lists or perhaps more
> specifically the OSX-Admin list at macosx-admin@??? or
> OSX-Server-Admin list (if you're running OS X Server) at
> macos-x-server@???

I see. I thought that the items in the EXIM package that were
installed when I installed EXIM, were part of EXIM, including the php
files that connect to MySQL. I guess nobody talks about that in here.
If I had the idea that I had to be a php developer to run EXIM, then
maybe this would have been clearer.

> However realize that OS X Server doesn't use httpd.conf in the usual
> way, that is it's just the defaults, not for any sites.

I'm not using OS X Server.

> As for PHP, OS X's PHP ships with Register_Globals off as recommended
> by the folks at PHP. Many scripts pre-2001 assume this is "on". This
> is a security issue. Such scripts should be rewritten.
>
> The MySQL error seems to indicate that MySQL isn't running. Have you
> performed the post-install setup and made sure the "MYSQL=-YES-" line
> is there? Do you see mysql running on your system (`ps -auxww`)

I know for a fact that MySQL is running as I'm seeing it through the 5
sites that use their tables, as well as phpmyadmin and in the terminal.
As for the post-install setup, I'm not sure what you mean by that. I
followed the page on the EXIM website for installation and I don't
remember seeing anything about modifying a file to house this line. I
did modify about 3 or 4 files, but I don't remember that one
specifically.

> I'd recommend, since this has nothing to do with Exim, that you not
> followup to this message on the exim list.

From some of the reactions here, who would want to? Thanks for your
notes. Be aware though, that those trying to install EXIM, questioning
the install scripts and the resulting needs of PHP and MySQL, would
naturally ask in here, as they might find setup of such software to be
very much a part of EXIM.

Cheers

Rich Fortnum
rf@???