Re: [Exim] Date problem with Exim (FreeBSD Port) with Outloo…

Author: Oliver Eikemeier
To: lannygodsey
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Date problem with Exim (FreeBSD Port) with Outlook Express 5 (Windows, and Mac)
Lanny Godsey wrote:

> [...]
>
> Outlook Express 5 and Outlook 2000 follow RFC 822 and do not cope well
> w/ the ; placed in the Received: line.
>
> [...]
>
> Outlook seems to expect the FreeBSD bit to be a date. I've asked the
> port maintainer to simply change the ; to :. It looks like the port
> will not be changed since the (;) doesn't violate RFC 2822, and it was
> sugested that I upgrade my client.

Hmmm. To cite myself, my response was:

> Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
>
>> Lanny Godsey wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, you have the exim port setting the Received header to be
>>> version; FreeBSD. This violates RFC 822
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> Sorry, I can't follow you how the use of a comment violates RFC 822.
>> This is more likely one of the many RFC violations of the various
>> forms of Outlook.
>>
>>> Please change the ; bit to : or / possibly.
>>
>> I could use nested comments to work around Outlook bugs, although I'm
>> tempted to recommend you a decent mail reader...
>>
>> I'll have a look. what are the symptoms in Outlook?

And actually had this changed locally, but forgot about it due to the most
recent exiscan upgrade. Let me remind you that I've got no response, so I
figured that it was not *that* important.

May I humbly ask again what Outlook does with the Received headers, and
what does not work as expected? If you are really interested in fixing
this issue, that shouldn't be a question too difficult to answer.

-Oliver