Re: [Exim] Patch for "fallback on fail"

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Patch for "fallback on fail"
On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 03:48:28PM -0600, Dan Egli wrote:
> Jeremy Harris wrote:
>
> >I am so pissed off with certain broken Novell systems ignoring our 5xx
> >username.    Please don't encourage this behaviour.  5xx means NO.

> I agree with both sides to a point. Retrying from MX1 to MX2 etc.. is a
> bad thing. But if the fallback host could be specified, then I think it
> would be a good patch for those of us stuck on a dynamic IP address.

If you are on a dynamic IP address, or if you cannot control your IP
space, you should be smarthosting through your ISP's SMTP gateway, and
not doing direct deliveries.

If you want to be a responsible Internet citizen, 5xx means STOP, and
run your mail server on a static IP address where you have full
control over its RBL status. If you can't get a static IP, pony up
the $60.00/month or so to have a server colocated somewhere that you
can smarthost through as an alternative.

But 5xx means STOP. If ignoring 5xx became commonplace, I would hope
the RBLs would start listing anyone who knowingly ran that crap.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???