Re: [Exim] Patch for "fallback on fail"

Author: Avleen Vig
To: Dan Egli
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Patch for "fallback on fail"
On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 03:48:28PM -0600, Dan Egli wrote:
> >I am so pissed off with certain broken Novell systems ignoring our 5xx
> >username.    Please don't encourage this behaviour.  5xx means NO.

> I agree with both sides to a point. Retrying from MX1 to MX2 etc.. is a
> bad thing. But if the fallback host could be specified, then I think it
> would be a good patch for those of us stuck on a dynamic IP address.

Dan,

While I am in the same situation as you (several ISP's block my
connections), I strongs disagree.
5xx means "NO, stop right now, do not go any further under *ANY*
condition, give up, drop the message, and forget trying to deliver it.".
There is no condition that I know of where 5xx can mean "Not here, try
again later".

Those try again later are 4xx errors. If you get 5xx, you show just
stop.

My advice to you would be to always relay through a smarthost, or set up
manual routes for particular domains like I do.

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator