Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?

Autor: Matthew Byng-Maddick
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?
On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 09:00:24AM +0100, Mike 'Fraz' White wrote:
> knowingly running SMTP servers this can cause a few problems. My
> personal experience from my previous job is that customers knowingly
> running mail servers are very rarely, if ever, a problem.

Please can you explain to me (something that noone has yet been able to do
to my satisfaction): how can I tell that you are "knowingly running a mail
server" as opposed to either
a) running exchange in open-relay mode (one of the more common support calls
to a friend of mine at his previous ISP job was "my ADSL is going slowly".
His first diagnosis question was always "Are you running Exchange?")?
b) some random compromised box sending out spew (probably a windows box with
a virus)?

These are, after all, most of what emanates to my port 25 from networks with
dynamically-assigned hosts.

If you are "knowingly running a mail server", then IMO, you should knowingly
be running it on an IP address with a reasonable reverse DNS, and where your
IP addresses don't have the potential to move around every 7 days.

Cheers

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick          <mbm@???>           http://colondot.net/