Re: [Exim] Mail gateway with sa-exim and exim

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mail gateway with sa-exim and exim
Hi Pradeeper, on Mon, 10 May 2004 21:21:30 +0600 you wrote:

[exim gateway, manual route to backend server]

[I suggested a manualroute router]
> Hay It worked like magic!

Great.

> So it was a problem with my exim router :-|

Well, not a "problem" as such...just not quite set up :)

> > Yes. If you're trying to block spam, you should also remove your ISP's
> > mail server from the MX list. Your list of MXes should include only
> > machines that have similar policy controls against spam/viruses.
> We use ISP in our MX records for a reason. Say if our mail server down
> for some reason (normally wont happened) mails will temporally stored
> in our ISP's server (till our mail server gets up).

I know why secondary MX's are typically used, but you should give serious
consideration to whether you actually need it. Is your primary MX ever
down for extended periods (e.g. 2 days or more)? If not, the secondary is
not really necessary. It may help, depending on retry times and suchlike,
to get your mail to you slightly faster after a primary outage, but
considering the downsides, this may well not be worth it.

> Is there any workaround for this without adding ISP on our MX?

Get a secondary MX yourself and set it up with the same spam controls as
your primary. You could probably even use a cheap offsite virtual server
or something.

> > Then in /etc/exim/domain_routes have:
> > yourdomain.example.com: your.internal.mail.server
> Why I have to create /etc/exim4/domain_routes ? Can't I specify my
> domain name and email server directly in "route_data"?

Yes, you can hardcode it if you want. I only gave that example because it
is more "generic", meaning that if at some point in future you want to
scan for a different domain that needs routing to a different server, the
config is already in place, you just add the domain to the domain_routes
file.

Tim