Re: [Exim] Exim Comparsion

Author: Bruce Richardson
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim Comparsion
On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 02:49:03PM -0700, Kevin A. Sindhu wrote:
> #2) Postfix seems to all of this, is modular with a small memory
> footprint and works nicely with Amavisd-new/LDAP and can run chrooted.
> Except that Amavisd-new can't scale and I'm very apprehensive on setting
> this up and having another point-of-failure to work on
>
> #3) Exim can pretty much everything above and you don't need the extra
> programs to maintain consistency. However, has anyone run exim chrooted
> and/or gotten better performance (numbers would be nice) than postfix.

IME, although Postfix is measurably faster than Exim in simple
circumstances, there are more complex configurations where the clunky
hacks needed to get Postfix to work erode that edge. Setting up content
filters (e.g. SpamAssassin, ClamAV) is much nicer on Exim even if you
don't use Exiscan, especially when you only want messages that meet
certain criteria to be filtered. Although Postfix is now just a little
more flexible in this area than it used to be, you simply don't have the
same level of configurability and flexibility that you have with Exim
and it can then be less efficient for these purposes (e.g. sending many
more messages through a filter than you actually want).

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant. -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"