Re: [Exim] Exim Comparsion

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: Exim list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim Comparsion
søn, 09.05.2004 kl. 23.49 skrev Kevin A. Sindhu:

> Background:
>
> I'm currently advising a client (with a mail volume of around 100k mails
> a day with growth potential to about a million/day) to look at solutions
> which involves front end MTA solutions such as exim/postfix or even
> "ugh" qmail. The mail backend is Sun JES iMS and I need to setup front
> end mail servers which can do mail filtering (spamasssassin or
> brightmail hooks, rbls, virus scanning with ClamAV and (i.e. more than
> one) TM) and then use SunONE Directory Server LDAP to route mail to
> backend mail host's by looking at the user's ldap attributes (including
> optin for Virus/SPAM checking). The front end needs to be flexible and
> secure. The client also would like to run this MTA chrooted. There
> already is a clustered backend which does everything and the front end
> mail cluster will take some of the overhead of away.
>
> Question:
>
> I'm looking for a front end solution which can do all of this. Surely
> all three MTA's can LDAP and scale well except

[...]

> #2) Postfix seems to all of this, is modular with a small memory
> footprint and works nicely with Amavisd-new/LDAP and can run chrooted.
> Except that Amavisd-new can't scale and I'm very apprehensive on setting
> this up and having another point-of-failure to work on

[...]

> I would also like this solution to be simple enough (i.e.
> packaging/deployment) to implement in case any of these frontends go
> down. Any insights would be great.

As far as Postfix goes, there's a thread on the list begun yesterday
(Sunday) with input from a couple of high-volume amavisd-new
pro/antagonists and otherwise a large amount of info in the archives
during the past year. Perhaps you could better ask on that list about
Postfix - though the subject has been done to death ;)

Best,

--Tonni

--

We make out of the quarrel with others rhetoric
but out of the quarrel with ourselves, poetry.

mail: billy - at - billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl