Re: [Exim] Secondary mail server

Author: Bruce Richardson
To: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Exim] Secondary mail server
On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 06:34:12PM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> ok - I'm brain dead today.
>
> I want to set up a second computer to process mail - mostly accept it
> and store it - as a secondary mx so when the main computer comes back up
> then it transfers the mail back.
>
> How do I do that? For some reason I can't find it in the manual.

There's no magic to it, nor any single "you are a secondary relay"
setting. You just tell Exim on the secondary which domains it accepts
mail for and tell it to deliver the mail for those domains to the
primary. Make sure the retry time for those domains is nice and
tolerant.

Secondary relays are often targetted by spammers, in the hope that they
will not have the same anti-spam measures as the primary. Try to
duplicate your anti-spam measures from the primary and/or use recipient
callout.

FWIW, my preference is to configure all publicly visible relays the
same, regardless of their priority. I have them all deliver inward, to
destination mailstores that are not otherwise visible to the public
internet. It's more secure and makes life easier.

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.