Re: [Exim] exim references

Author: Mike Richardson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim references
On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 02:48:43PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> --
> On Thu, 06 May 2004 13:26:04 +0100, Nigel Wade wrote:
> > Marcos Monge wrote:
> > > I'm trying to use Exim for a big new mail services in a University
> > > (~80.000 users), but my boss is asking about some references of other
> >
> > The University of Leicester use Exim for the central mail system (at least
> > according to the 220 SMTP greeting it's Exim 4.30). If I understand their
>
> Just to add to the list, the University of Portsmouth is also using Exim at
> 'the edge' in front of Mercury MTAs internally (plus an insignificant
> number of exceptions which all run Exim).

University of Manchester uses Exim on its mailrouters (we block port 25 in
and outbound and force all mail for the Uni and associated sites through
them) which handle mail for 30,000+ users now and 45,000+ soon. Roughly 1.5
million emails per week. We use exiscan with spam assassin and
sophie/sophos. We have four main routers (any one should be able to handle
the full load at a push) and two for handling non-local domains.

These deliver to a variety of Mercury, Exchange, Unix (sendmail, exim etc)
and soon Oracle Collaboration Suite.

Until about a year ago we were using *cough*exim 2*cough* but now are on
exim 4. Exim Just Works. Any problems we have are hardware related or a
function of the anti-spam or anti-virus software and these are few and far
between.

Even in the current climate of accountability, support contracts and
'Business Continuance' we would not consider replacing Exim with anything
else.

Mike
--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2003       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing