Re: [Exim] Need Exim to ask hosts file before asking my DNS

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Peter Bowyer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Need Exim to ask hosts file before asking my DNS
On Thu, 6 May 2004, Peter Bowyer wrote:

> Sherif Mohamad <sherifd30@???> wrote:
> >> I think what the OP is expecting is a DNS lookup for an MX record,
> >> returning a hostname, and a host file lookup for the IP of that
> >> hostname.
> >>

> > Exactly, can I do that ?
>
> I don't think so.

You can't because the function to "get MX records and the related A
records" is a single function that uses the DNS. Often, the DNS name
server that returns the MX records also returns the A records in the
same response packet. When this happens, Exim uses those A records, and
does not do a separate lookup for them.

I think it would be confusing and counter-intuitive to lookup up half
the information (the MX records) in the DNS and the other half from
somewhere else.