Re: [Exim] Need Exim to ask hosts file before asking my DNS

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Need Exim to ask hosts file before asking my DNS
Sherif Mohamad <sherifd30@???> wrote:
> Sorry for contacting you off the list

Please don't - keep the discussion on the list, other people may have a
solution to suggest. And private help is for paying clients :-)

> We have many domains, and split DNS means 2 zones for a domain, that
> means more probaility of human errors during changes which are
> frequent. I will need only to split one domain, but still I am
> looking for the most consistent solution.

Understood - it's not the simplest thing to manage, although you could
automate it with scripts I guess.

> I was using sendmail and it does that by default and uses /etc/hosts.
> But I want to switch to Exim to use the anti spam filtering at SMTP
> time (exiscan)

You could probably achieve what you want with a ${run or ${perl function
which could take the domain name as input and perfrom the hybrid
MX-then-hostfile lookup you're after. Wouldn't take more than a few lines of
perl.

> I hope this to be added to Exim in future as it is already default in
> other MTAs (like sendmail).

Can't comemnt on that...

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer - Freelance Technical Architect and Writer
peter <at> bowyer.org