Re: [Exim] Port 465

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Daniel Tiefnig
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Port 465
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Daniel Tiefnig wrote:

> > The switch tls_on_startup applies to all ports.
>
> Are there plans to change this?

Not at the moment. As I understand it, the standard specifies the use of
STARTTLS. The port 465 ssmtp approach is legacy and non-standard. I
added -tls-on-connect to make it possible for people running legacy
clients to use Exim. This was two years ago. Obviously, the legacy
clients are not dying out very quickly...

> Is it a problem to change this?

It is effort and work that I am not sure it worth doing.

> Or maybe it would be easier to fork of a separate listener for "SSL"
> ports, in stead of differntiate between them? This would in fact be the
> same as starting two exim daemons, yes. (But without starting two exim
> daemons, you see?)

You'd be starting two *somethings*. It wouldn't matter what you called
them, so why not just start two daemons? Saves writing any new code.
They can use the same spool.