Re: [Exim] Port 465

Autor: Daniel Tiefnig
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Port 465
Philip Hazel wrote:
>>> The switch tls_on_startup applies to all ports.
>>
>> Are there plans to change this?
>
> Not at the moment. As I understand it, the standard specifies the use
> of STARTTLS. The port 465 ssmtp approach is legacy and non-standard.

Well, the standard(tm) tells to favour STARTTLS and STLS over the
(historic?) "SSL" solutions, for various (specious) reasons, yes.

>> Is it a problem to change this?
>
> It is effort and work that I am not sure it worth doing.

Well, I understand your point, it's merely cosmetics.

>> Or maybe it would be easier to fork of a separate listener for
>> "SSL" ports, in stead of differntiate between them? This would in
>> fact be the same as starting two exim daemons, yes. (But without
>> starting two exim daemons, you see?)
>
> You'd be starting two *somethings*.

Ah no, you'd start *one* something. Exim would do the Rest itself, like
starting the queue runners from time to time, and starting an TLS
listener if needed. That was just a thought, personally I really can
do this explicitly, but people seem to get irritated by that.

Never mind, I just wanted to know how you think about this, and whether
it's going to change in near future.

lg,
daniel