Re: [Exim] Can I shut off "AUTH=" when forwarding to smartho…

Autor: Chad Walstrom
A: exim-users
CC: Philip Hazel
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Can I shut off "AUTH=" when forwarding to smarthosts?
--
On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 03:53:51PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> I sympathise with your problem, but...
>
> Support for SMTP authentication was added to Exim in the 3.10 release,
> in November 1999. That's over 4 years ago. You are the first person in
> those 4 years who has reported encountering an SMTP server that
> implements only part of the specification. I'm afraid I'm of the
> opinion that the problem is with your smarthost.

You get no argument from me that the problem is with the smarthost.
I've talked with the postmaster and we've come to an agreement that
something needs to be done to fix it at the server end.

That exim has had four years of success with SMTP AUTH suite of commands
is definitely encouraging. I already find the exim configuration file a
bit much to wrap my head around at times, but it is no where near as
complicated as Sendmail, obviously. I understand that a feature request
that affects less than 1% of the userbase does not generally warrant
much discussion or namespace in an already large config file.

I won't wax philosophic about playing nice with others because exim does
a great job already. Consider my feature request a null action unless
you hear of other cases, which sounds unlike at best.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@???>           http://www.wookimus.net/