Re: [Exim] Can I shut off "AUTH=" when forwarding to smartho…

Autor: Fred Viles
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Can I shut off "AUTH=" when forwarding to smarthosts?
On 22 Apr 2004 at 10:04, Philip Hazel wrote about
    "Re: [Exim] Can I shut off "AUTH=" w":

| On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Fred Viles wrote:

| > It's an interesting question. The parameter is described as
| > optional, but the language includes some MUSTs that require a relay
| > server to pass along AUTH=<> in some cases.

| My reading is that, although the parameter need not be supplied by the
| client (it's optional), if supplied, it has to be recognized by the
| server.

Right, but the point I was raising is that there are cases when the
client apparently *is* required to supply the supposedly optional
AUTH= parameter. For example, when it is relaying a message
originally received from a client that supplied it, to another server
with which AUTH has been negotiated.

If it is required, as it seems to be for at least some cases, then
OP's desired option to suppress supplying AUTH= could led to non-
compliant behavior.

| My belief is that a server that advertises support for authentication
| must support both the AUTH command and the AUTH= parameter on MAIL.

Agreed, that's *very* clear. And I don't think the OP was suggesting
otherwise - he acknowledged that his smarthost is broken. He was
just hoping for an option to work around the breakage.

- Fred