Re: [Exim] Feature Request - SOA email address

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Drav Sloan
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Scott Call
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Feature Request - SOA email address
Scott Call wrote:
> On IN-ADDR.ARPA records, I'd argue that the SOA is a better contact than
> abuse@/postmaster@ the domain the PTR specifies.

No it is _NOT_. SOA email addresses are there to point out a contact
for DNS zone related issues. (Rfc 1033 states that the contact
address (preson) in the SOA is for (quote) "<person> is a mailbox
for the person responsible for the zone." I'd say thats DNS
responsibility and not some random responsibility YOU deicded he/she
should do.

> For example if I have a customer scottsdots.com the SOA on the
> IN-ADDR.ARPA zone would be hostmaster@???, which is correct
> because abuse@??? and postmaster@??? most likely go
> to (if anyone) an semi computer literate windows admin.

_BUT_ postmaster@??? is the address assigned to deal
with those _specific_ postmaster related issues, not one you
arbitarily decide to send it to. Postmaster is there for a reason.
Its the responsilbity of the people hosting the domain to provide
the correct support for the relevant internet services they run.

Go read RFC2142 for clues.

> Now extracting an abuse address with the domain in the SOA might be a
> better solution, but the SOA of an IN_ADDR.ARPA domain must, by
> definition, be able to act as a point of contact. For non IN-ADDR zones,
> abuse@domain is probably the best way to go.

As I've said already. Auto-notification is not only idiotic, it creates
more damage than good. Quite often with viruses the sender address is
forged, the contacting host could of been a 3rd party relay as well as
a host of stuffu (so random 3rd parties then get spammed, who mail
their postmaster, or auto respond back to you acout sending viruses).
It not like viruses dont already bring networks/isps/mail servcies to
their knees. Adding to the workload by resonding to each and every virus is
not only addding to the shite being passed about there is a chance that
doing so only fires of more rubbish.

Investigate each virus MANUALLY and decide LOGICALLY where it should
go. Sending to abuse@yourisp is also another great big misconception!
How are the abuse team meant to deal with issues on services and
hosts that are not even part of their company, but rather somebody
elses?

Please, please do not set up this stupid and naive 'auto mailing'
nonsense. If you are a postmaster of a domain, ACT like one, and
dont try and push your responbilities into poorly designed 'fudges'.

D.