Not accepting email from apache user (Was: Re: [Exim] root a…

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Jeff Lasman
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Παλιά Θέματα: Re: [Exim] root as return-path...
Αντικείμενο: Not accepting email from apache user (Was: Re: [Exim] root as return-path...)
On Friday 09 April 2004 03:32 am, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> Are you sure the php program is setting the return path? It's more
> likely to be Exim. The php program will not be able to set the
> return path unless it is running as a user that Exim trusts (root is
> not, by default, one of those).

First... I made an error in the description; the return path is actually
<apache@???>. I'm sorry if I've led anyone astray.

Actually, I'm not sure of anything much <frown>. The whole thing is
happening on a client's server. We didn't write the programs in
question; our Form-to-email program is a perl program owned by, and
executed as, the site-owner, which is a real email account, and the
email comes, properly, as that user.

In this case the php program is also owned by the site-owner, which is
also a real email account, and yet the email comes from
apache@??? (actually it comes from the real
hostname/domain pair, but I'm sure you understand we don't want to
expose our client's domain name; if it were ours we'd have no problem
with it).

> Look up these settings in the Exim documentation:
>
> local_from_check
> local_sender_retain
> trusted_users
> trusted_groups

apache _is_ a trusted user on this client's system.

While I know this is offtopic, can you, or anyone, tell me how to use
PHP to reset the email return-path? The client is blaming me because I
recommended he switch to exim. He wants me to set his system to accept
email from anyone no matter if the sender exists or not, and I'm not
happy to do that unless absolutely necessary.

Since the program is owned by a real user with a real email address, I
thought of chmodding the program from -rw-r--r-- to -rwsr--r-- but I
don't know what that would do, since php doesn't care about the execute
bit.

I know people are using php as form-to-email providers, I just don't
know what to tell our client, and I'm left holding the bag since I
recommended exim <frown>.

While I believe strongly in exim, obviously this is something I don't
know much about. I've started looking through php books but haven't
found anything yet.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA 92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation