Re: [Exim] not following spamd_address

Author: Michael Johnson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] not following spamd_address
On Apr 6, 2004, at 4:56 PM, Tor Slettnes wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2004, at 13:30, Michael Johnson wrote:
>> So theoretically, I could get it to listen to a specific IP or is that
>> the IP it listens from. Would that be --listen-ip=my.ip.add.ress or
>> --listen-ip=rem.ote.ip.addr ? It's not immediately clear.
>
> It is the address to which spamd "binds", i.e. specifies which network
> interfaces to listen to.
>
> Suppose the machine has 3 interfaces:
>    127.0.0.1   - loopback
>    192.168.0.1 - a LAN interface, connected to an internal network
>    24.24.24.24 - a "public" interface, connected to the Internet

> In this case, binding to "127.0.0.1,192.168.0.1" will make the daemon
> accept connections from the loopback interface and from the LAN
> interface; but will not even listen on the public interface.

Even better than what I posted. This is an excellent description of
what's happening. Thanks!

Add what you have with the -A entry I found, and we'd have exactly what
I need.

> You can try "locate spamd.8" (on Linux it is often "spamd.8.gz").
> Manual pages are named based on which "section" of the manual they
> belong to; section 8 contains administrative commands.
>
> Suppose that yields /usr/local/spamassassin/man/man8/spamd.8 -- in this
> case, you should be able to:
>    man -M /usr/local/spamassassin/man spamd

Found it. Strange how it didn't come up in a regular man command.

> If that fails, you can go to:
>    http://www.spamassassin.org/doc/spamc.html
>    http://www.spamassassin.org/doc/spamd.html

I found these before, but it wasn't clear to me. Now that I understand
it a bit better, it all makes perfect sense and it will be a better
reference.

> BTW, I did not intend to give a stupid/redundant "RTFM" response - I
> just wanted to make you aware (if you weren't) of available
> documentation. When tweaking your configuration, this helps in ways
> that this mailing list (or even a better-suited one for SpamAssassin)
> could never do.

Thanks...using all tools available make the process a lot easier. Your
help along with the man pages and some other www resources have helped
me solve this half of the problem.

Now to try to do the same with ClamAV. This should be fun. =-)

-Michael

I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in
which they can learn.

                --Albert Einstein