Re: [Exim] not following spamd_address

Author: Tor Slettnes
To: Michael Johnson
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] not following spamd_address
On Apr 6, 2004, at 13:30, Michael Johnson wrote:
> So theoretically, I could get it to listen to a specific IP or is that
> the IP it listens from. Would that be --listen-ip=my.ip.add.ress or
> --listen-ip=rem.ote.ip.addr ? It's not immediately clear.

It is the address to which spamd "binds", i.e. specifies which network
interfaces to listen to.

Suppose the machine has 3 interfaces:
    127.0.0.1   - loopback
    192.168.0.1 - a LAN interface, connected to an internal network
    24.24.24.24 - a "public" interface, connected to the Internet

In this case, binding to "127.0.0.1,192.168.0.1" will make the daemon
accept connections from the loopback interface and from the LAN
interface; but will not even listen on the public interface.

The special case of binding to the address "0.0.0.0" means to listen on
every available interface.

So the short answer is, it would be "--listen-ip=my.ip.add.ress".

> Incidentally, "man spamd" brings "No manual entry for spamd", and spamc
> brings a similar result. I installed it normally through CPAN and have
> set up my manpath to all the usual suspects. On my FreeBSD system I
> get the same result, but I didn't do the installation on that system.
> Further search (although apparently not exhaustive) on the SpamAssassin
> site didn't give me an understandable result. That's when I decided to
> ask here where I might find someone who understands it better and can
> give a clearer and more complete explanation as to how it works.

You can try "locate spamd.8" (on Linux it is often "spamd.8.gz").
Manual pages are named based on which "section" of the manual they
belong to; section 8 contains administrative commands.

Suppose that yields /usr/local/spamassassin/man/man8/spamd.8 -- in this
case, you should be able to:
    man -M /usr/local/spamassassin/man spamd

If that fails, you can go to:
    http://www.spamassassin.org/doc/spamc.html
    http://www.spamassassin.org/doc/spamd.html

BTW, I did not intend to give a stupid/redundant "RTFM" response - I
just wanted to make you aware (if you weren't) of available
documentation. When tweaking your configuration, this helps in ways
that this mailing list (or even a better-suited one for SpamAssassin)
could never do.

-tor