RE: [Exim] Idea for a per-recipient DATA ACL stage

Author: Eli
To: kelley, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Idea for a per-recipient DATA ACL stage
Kelley Reynolds wrote:
> It's easy enough to have per-address and per-domain DATA settings
> simply by using acl-type conditions in the routers. This accomplishes
> everything that you want, except for having the rejection done during
> the DATA phase, which can still be done for single recipients.

How exactly do you accomplish that during the DATA phase when you can't base
anything off of $local_part or $domain? That's the whole issue many people
have is that a message, once it's at the DATA phase, can have any number of
recipients specified on it so you can't start filtering the message during
ACL time based off of any user or domain level specific rules because then
you're making decisions for other recipients who may not want the same
filters applied.

I understand that filtering messages can be done *after* the ACL stages, but
the whole reason for having them done in the ACL stages is that you can
prevent a message from being accepted in the first place, and its also a bit
nicer in other ways too by reducing the # of messages you have in queue,
etc... As well, I use exiscan which allows me to do av and spam filtering
at ACL time, and many people would like to have individual per recipient
specific settings for those types of filters and without something like a
per recipient DATA phase, it's only possible by restricting the number of
recipients per message to 1 which is a nasty hack in my opinion.

Eli.