re: [Exim] Idea for a per-recipient DATA ACL stage

Author: Kelley Reynolds
To: exim-users
Subject: re: [Exim] Idea for a per-recipient DATA ACL stage
--- Original Message ---
From: Eli <eli-list@???>
Sent: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:30:45 -0400
To: exim-users@???, exiscanusers@???
Subject: [Exim] Idea for a per-recipient DATA ACL stage

> As you can probably gather from the quoted text, it's just the same as the
> normal DATA ACL (not like the MIME ACL) but it is run through for each
> recipient so that $local_part and $domain are filled with the current
> recipient. Now obviously if a message has several hundred recipients then
> this could take up quite a bit of time to run through depending on what is
> in the ACL. This would mean that the user would have to be concious of the
> SMTP timeouts between stages to make sure that they don't time out anywhere.
>
> However, with the potential baddies of adding this, there is too much good
> that can come of it to ignore. No more "one recipient at a time" hacks to
> have per user spam or anti virus settings - no more restrictions for per
> domain/user level anything any more!

> Personally though, my big reason for mentioning something like this (and
> hoping that the idea is followed through!) is that it would allow other
> message filtering to be done at ACL time as well that was per domain/user
> specific.

It's easy enough to have per-address and per-domain DATA settings simply by using acl-type conditions in the routers. This accomplishes everything that you want, except for having the rejection done during the DATA phase, which can still be done for single recipients.

Kelley Reynolds
President
Inside Systems, Inc