Re: [Exim] Mail with Attachments gets stuck

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Kevin Reed
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [Exim] Mail with Attachments get stuck
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mail with Attachments gets stuck
On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Kevin Reed wrote:

> 2004-03-31 16:28:23 1B8oyH-0002AF-4o == mbeard@???
>    R=SMART_HOST_ROUTE T=remote_smtp defer (145): Connection timed out:
>    SMTP timeout while connected to crash.example.com [10.0.221.21]
>    after end of data (6541254 bytes written)

> This happens over and over...
>
> However the outside server says it got the message and actually delivered
> it to the real user on the Internet the first time, and each susequent
> attempt:

The remote server is for some reason being tardy in sending back the
"I've got it" response.

> 2004-03-31 16:29:20 1B8oyF-0007b6-LY
>    <= lalnas@???
>    H=bang.example.com (phxsnp05.example.com) [10.0.201.23]
>    P=esmtp S=6373245 id=AA39D@???
>    T="FW: Store 1944 V3750 Download"
>    from <lalnas@???>
>    for mbeard@???

But it seems to be Exim, and Exim sends the response immediately after
writing that log line. So, what could be wrong?

(1) The response is getting lost. Not too likely repeatedly.

(2) The receiving Exim is doing a lot of processing between receiving
the "." line and finally accepting the message. It could be running a
DATA ACL or a local_scan() function. Is this the case? The message is 6M
long, so if some kind of scanning is going on, that could be the cause.

My money is on (2). You could try increasing the timeouts on the sending
host.

Philip